Using this set of modules, your textbook, and other links found below, answer the following questions.
- What do we call the location of the Red River settlement today?
- There was great tension between two groups of people living in the Red River Colony in the early 1800s. Who were these groups?
- How did the Metis make a living?
- What company was in competition with the Hudson Bay Company?
- Why did the governor of Red River Colony create the Pemmican Proclamation? How did the Metis react to this?
- The Canadian government thought Rupert’s Land would make good farmland. They sent surveyors to Red River without telling the First Nations or Metis. What happened next?
- Why was Louis Riel chosen to lead the Metis?
- How did the people in Ontario and Quebec react to the execution of Thomas Scott by the Metis Provisional Government?
- What act created the province of Manitoba? What rights did it guarantee?
- What problems did the Metis still face in Manitoba and into the West?
- Why was the government ignoring the Metis concerns?
- Who was Gabriel Dumont, and how did his role in the Metis rebellion compare to that of Louis Riel?
- What was Louis Riel charged with? What does his charge mean/entail? How did he die? Why did SirJAM take this route?
- What similarities and differences exist between the causes of the Red River Resistance in 1869 and the causes of the second Métis uprising in 1885? Complete a venn diagram or t-chart.
- Identify a minimum of 8 symbols of the Metis people.