While you finish your Francophone perspectives research project, we’ll also be going over a bit of history you may/may not remember from Grade 7, with pre-confederation history and the creation of responsible government. We’re exploring, in brief, Louis-Hippolyte LaFontaine and Robert Baldwin.
In your notes folder, jot down definitions for the key terms and answer the 5W key questions.
Key terms: responsible government, oligarchy, assimilation
- What is Responsible Government?
- Who is Responsible Government responsible to? Who were strong
advocates for Responsible Government in British North America?
- Why did politicians in British North America want Responsible Government?
- When was Responsible Government first granted in British North America?
- Where was Responsible Government first granted in British North America?
Lesson material: Responsible Government Lafontaine Baldwin
Assignment material: Responsible_Government_-_Primary_Sources_-_Durham_Report_Quotes
You will need to reference material–mine or otherwise–on Lord Durham/The Durham Report, the 1841 Act of Union, and the united Province of Canada.