Video – Malcom X
Accompanying Note Sheet – Malcolm_X_Graphic_Organizer
Source Analysis 30-1 – Malcolm_X_Primary_Source_Activity
Source Analysis 30-2 (answer following questions for image below):
1. Carefully compare Martin Luther King and Malcolm X in this photo. How are the alike and how are they different in terms of appearance, dress, and demeanor?
2. Based on what you already know about the beliefs of Dr. King and what you have learned about those of Malcolm X, in what ways were they similar and in what ways were they different?
3. In talking about this encounter, Malcolm X said, “The goal has always been the same, with the approaches to it as different as mine and Dr. Martin Luther King’s nonviolent marching that dramatizes the brutality and the evil of the Caucasian man against defenseless Blacks. And in the racial climate of this country today, it is anybody’s guess which of the ‘extremes’ in approach to the Black man’s problems might personally meet a fatal catastrophe first: ‘nonviolent’ Dr. King or so-called ‘violent’ me.” To promote civil rights in today’s society, which strategy do you think is more effective–Dr. King’s inclusive and non-violent approach or the more separatist, confrontational stance represented by Malcolm X during much of his career?
ACTIVITY (CLASS WORK):
- Who do you think published or produced this document?
- What audience do you think this document was intended to target?
- Would you group this with the Cold War or the civil rights movement?
- What is the specific purpose of this document?
- What means does this document use to accomplish its goal?
- What are the points of view of each document?
Source 1: brief_in_brown_v_board_of_education
PowerPoint on Dissent (for marks) – 2_dissent